[mpiwg-tools] Fwd: pvar attribute questions

Junchao Zhang jczhang at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Aug 30 16:13:03 CDT 2013

Hello,

I'm trying to understand MPI3 MPI_T performance variables (pvar).  The
standard defines pvar sessions, pvar classes (e.g.,COUNTER, HIGHWATERMARK
etc), and continuous pvars, readonly pvars.I was wondering if there is any
relevance between these concepts. The standard doesn't say that.

For instance, for a highwatermark pvar, I guess it should be continuous.
Otherwise, suppose a pvar session starts this pvar, then stops it, and then
restarts it.  How can I keep track of this pvar? Let's say during the live
period of the pvar, the high watermark is 50. After the pvar is stopped, it
went up to as high as 90 (since it may be alive in other pvar sessions).
So, when I restart the pvar, what value should I read?

Thanks
--Junchao Zhang