[Mpi3-tools] Standardized MPI_COMM_WORLD rank environment variable?

Rayson Ho raysonlogin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 17:01:59 CDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Dries Kimpe <dkimpe at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> No need to bring details like rank->thread->process mapping into this if
> all you want is a guaranteed unique filename among the MPI ranks of the
> application.

Hi Dries,

We are trying to find an environment variable that would also allow us
to locate a task, and the MPI rank seems to be the logical choice.

My previous email has URLs to other projects that reference the MPI
rank environment variable. Having the rank env. var. (or something
logical or meaningful that is unique and can represent a task) that
would allow us to link the profile back to the code is the cleanest
IMO, as the profiling tools can't link against any of the MPI
libraries. So we can't issue an MPI call to find the rank in the COMM
World.

BTW, many of those tools are loaded into the executable via
LD_PRELOAD, and that means before the first call to MPI_Init().

Rayson

Open Grid Scheduler / Grid Engine
http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/

Scalable Grid Engine Support Program