[Mpi3-tools] Last minute reminder: TelCon Monday 3/14, 8am PDT, 11am EDT, 4pm (!) MEZ

Martin Schulz schulzm at llnl.gov
Mon Mar 14 03:31:53 CDT 2011

Hi all,

As discussed last week, we will have our next MPI-3 tools
TelCon on 3/14 at 8am PDT, 11am EDT - note that the
time difference to Europe is at the moment only 8 hours
and hence the TelCon starts at 4pm MEZ.

Jeff has again created a Webex session:
https://cisco.webex.com/ciscosales/j.php?ED=160773797&UID=0&PW=NYTRhNTI1ZDE4&RT=MiMxMQ%3D%3D
Password tools

I have created a new draft of the tools chapter and add it
to the Wiki - changes are mostly cosmetic or reflect the
discussion during last TelCons.

Currently, we have three points outstanding, which I would
like to discuss tomorrow:

- How to deal with threading?
	- Do we need to be aware of the thread level?
	- What are the implications for performance measurements?

- Naming - how do we call the interface and all routines
	- The forum last time suggested to keep MPIT in the MPI
	   namespace, but we need a prefix. Options:
		- MPI_T_
		- MPI_II_
		- MPI_Tools_
		- MPI_Vars_
		- others?

- Should we include strings as MPIT types?
	- If so, how do we need to adjust the interface to report
	  the string lengths?

It would be great if we could come to a conclusion for all
of those, so I can create a final draft in time for the two week
deadline for the formal reading at the next forum.

Thanks!

Martin Schulz, schulzm at llnl.gov, http://people.llnl.gov/schulzm
CASC @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, USA