[Mpi3-tools] New MPIT draft and next TelCon

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jan 7 17:34:18 CST 2011

My comments so far:

section 1.2.2: can we cut "MPI_" from all of the "MPIT_MPI_RESOURCE_TYPE_BLAH" constants and related functions?  These names seem unnecessarily wordy.

page 4: MPIT_MPI_RESOURCE_COMMUNICATOR takes an MPI_Comm as an IN parameter, but the binding has a pointer as the type.  Same goes for all of the other similar functions on this page.

page 4, line 33: "MPI_" should be "MPI_Group"

page 5, line 29: "MPIT_MPI_Resource*" seems to be in the wrong typeface.  This is a C language type, so it should be typewriter text.

General comment about this section and functionality:  Since we assume only C bindings, can we just replace all of these functions with a single function?  Something like:

MPIT_Get_resource(void *handle_ptr, int resource_type, MPIT_MPI_Resource *out_resource);

and a call to it would look something like this:
-----8<----
int type;
int index = 0;
MPIT_MPI_Resource resource;
MPIT_Controlvar_handle handle;
MPI_Comm comm = MPI_COMM_SELF;
MPIT_Controlvar_get_info(index, ..., &type, ...);
if (type == MPIT_MPI_RESOURCE_TYPE_COMMUNICATOR) {
    MPIT_Get_resource(&comm, type, &resource);
    MPIT_Controlvar_handle_allocate(index, resource, &handle);
    /* read, write, etc here using handle */
}

I think the string arguments section (1.2.3) could use just a little polishing to make its behavior crystal clear, but it's much better than it was.  Also, "deposits"-->"writes".

I'll admit I didn't have time to thoroughly read the perfvar section, so there might still be issues there.

As for the category section, it looks basically OK to me.  I thought that we decided at the last call that categories would be flat and wouldn't contain other categories.  If you insist on pursuing this approach further, you'll need more text to explain that categories can't contain each other or themselves cyclically.

A general language comment: you should basically do a search and replace of "have to" or "has to" with "must" throughout the document.

-Dave