[mpiwg-rma] Draft MPI RMA chapter update

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Sun May 3 16:53:47 CDT 2015

(1)

If we are going to fix "It is often useful in a put operation to
combine the data moved to the target process with the data that
resides at that process, rather than replacing it." in 11.3.4, we
should go all the way to

"It is often useful in a remote update operation to combine the data
moved to the target process with the data that resides at that
process, rather than replacing it."

because "put" is not a superset of MPI_Put and MPI_Accumulate.

(2)

page 46 line 10-11: "each access epoch much target a different
process." s/much/must/

(3)

The text added on page 47 "Completes an RMA access epoch started by a
call to MPI_WIN_LOCK on window win." and "Completes a shared RMA
access epoch started by a call to MPI_WIN_LOCK_ALL on window win."
appear to add a semantic restriction not present in MPI 3.0, unless it
says somewhere else that LOCK_ALL must be matched by UNLOCK_ALL and
not by the appropriate number of UNLOCK calls, and vice versa.  If it
says this, I can't remember where it is.

And if one wants to add this text, it would seem symmetric to specify
that FLUSH_ALL and FLUSH_LOCAL_ALL should be associated with LOCK_ALL
epochs and not N*LOCK epochs.  However, I do not think this is
something we should do, and thus I infer we want to be less specific
in the previous instance, meaning, we should use

"Completes an RMA access epoch started by a call to MPI_WIN_LOCK or
MPI_WIN_LOCK_ALL on window win."

for both cases on page 47.

Jeff