[mpiwg-rma] Fence + threads

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Sun Jun 22 03:06:37 CDT 2014

Are you sure that you want to use MPI_Fence?
MPI_Fence is collective because a Group of processes
(here threads in different proceeses) have done some
RMA and want to tell all others in the group that they did.

If they do not know to whom they want to tell some information,
and only these receivers want to be blocked,
then non-collective methods based on MPI_Lock/Unlock may be
more appropriate?

If I understand right, then you have the following issues:
 - the MPI_PUT is locally finished
 - the data stored with MPI_PUT is remotely accessible
 - some other thread are informed about that this
   data is now available.
 - some restrictions on who knows about
   who needs the information, i.e., a fence over all
   threads of all processes is the wrong way.

Rolf