[mpiwg-rma] Fence + threads

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Jun 21 16:12:49 CDT 2014

William Gropp <wgropp at illinois.edu> writes:

> There are lots of choices.  Passive target can be used.  Or a single
> thread can call MPI_Win_fence - all threads can call the RMA
> communication routines.

The point of my example was that the threads are doing divergent tasks,
so wrapping a user mutex around MPI_Win_fence makes the algorithm more
synchronous and may result in idle/spinning threads.

The argument that passive target can be used isn't compelling to me
since it also applies in other cases that we use to justify active
target.