[mpiwg-rma] Ticket 435 and Re: MPI_Win_allocate_shared and synchronization functions

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Wed Jul 2 10:31:39 CDT 2014

> In general I am opposed to decreasing the performance of applications
> by mandating strong synchronization semantics.
>
> I will have to study this particular instance carefully.
I agree.

If the user of a shared memory window only want to issue
a memory fence, he/she can use the non-collective MPI_Win_sync.

I would expect that MPI_Win_fence and
post-start-complete-wait should be used on a shared memory window
only if the user wants process-to-process synchronization.

In all other cases, he/she would use lock/unlock or pure win_sync.
The proposal does not touch lock/unlock and win_sync.

A possible alternative would define remote load/store as RMA
and would terribly touch all synchronization routines.
We all would be against this, although this was the first idea
in 2012 with probably the historical remark
"This is what I was referring to. I'm in favor of this proposal."

Rolf

Dr. Rolf Rabenseifner . . . . . . . . . .. email rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Nobelstr. 19, D-70550 Stuttgart, Germany . . . . (Office: Room 1.307)