[mpiwg-rma] same_op_no_op and SHMEM

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 12:23:47 CDT 2013

I recall that Brian and/or Keith wanted same_op_no_op because of
SHMEM.  However, SHMEM requires the use of MPI_NO_OP (for atomic Get
via Get_accumulate), MPI_REPLACE (for atomic Put via Accumulate) and
MPI_SUM (for add, fadd, inc and finc).  So what is the benefit of
same_op_no_op to SHMEM?  Perhaps I remember completely wrong and the
motivation was something that does not use the latter atomics.  Or
perhaps it is common for SHMEM codes to not use these and thus the
assumption is MPI_SUM can be ignored.

Jeff

--
Jeff Hammond