[Mpi3-rma] [EXTERNAL] Re: request-based ops

Barrett, Brian W bwbarre at sandia.gov
Thu Jun 20 09:49:15 CDT 2013

On 6/20/13 7:39 AM, "Jim Dinan" <james.dinan at gmail.com<mailto:james.dinan at gmail.com>> wrote:

I agree with the general statement that the nonblocking call marks the end of the epoch.  In the case of MPI_Win_test, it's trying to close an exposure epoch -- not an access epoch -- so communication operations from the origin process are not being completed by synchronization (although, the test/wait synchronization could be waiting for a self communication, that operation is completed by start/complete not post/wait).  I think an MPI_Win_iwait operation that uses the semantic you described should be identical to MPI_Win_test.  Unless I'm missing something, which never happens when discussing RMA.  :)

You're right; I always get the exposure / access sides of generalized active target mixed up.  With that clarification, I think that MPI_Win_iwait and MPI_Win_test could be made equivalent fairly easily.

Brian

--
  Brian W. Barrett
  Scalable System Software Group