[Mpi3-rma] MPI-3 UNIFIED model clarification

Sur, Sayantan sayantan.sur at intel.com
Mon Jul 29 14:27:15 CDT 2013

> Yes, doing a remote memory barrier using an active message is an option.
>   But I think the point is that any of these approaches adds more unnecessary
> overhead.

I'm not clear as to for which option we can avoid overhead of the barrier.

UBER_SUPER_UNIFIED: MPI_Win_flush is truly one sided and utilizes network remote completion.

KIND_OF_UNIFIED: You need to have the memory barrier somewhere, so you will move it to MPI_Win_sync. A well-optimized RMA app will avoid unnecessary flushes and only do so when it intends updates to be visible to the remote side. I think in the end, the cost of the barrier will end up being equal, since a well optimized app will synchronize (local or remote) as infrequently as possible.

> Separating into three memory models provides better flexibility to
> implementations (and to applications, once we allow them to ask for the
> "required" value through an info argument).

I have a suspicion that KIND_OF_UNIFIED is going to end up being no different than SEPARATE. Although I haven't thought this angle through. It needs further clarification as to how KIND_OF_UNIFIED differs from UBER_SUPER_UNIFIED.

What this discussion brings to light is a lack of common understanding of the following comment on Pg 436, line 37-39:

" In the RMA unified model, public and private copies are identical and updates via put
or accumulate calls are eventually observed by load operations without additional RMA
calls."

I take "eventually" to mean locks/flushes. But it seems that not everyone shares that interpretation?

Thanks,
Sayantan.