[mpiwg-rma] FW: [Mpi3-rma] [EXTERNAL] Re: MPI-3 UNIFIED model updates

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 28 20:22:30 CDT 2013

On 08/28/2013 03:47 PM, Barrett, Brian W wrote:
> And, further, I believe
> that:
>
> X = 0
> Win_lock_all
> Recv
> do { compiler_fence(); } while (0 == X);
>
> will eventually complete on any platform that supports UNIFIED, as the
> public and private copies are eventually consistent.  This gives us the
> behaviors necessary for implementing SHMEM on MPI-3.

Right, good point.  We could retain the definition that the public and
private windows will eventually be the same without additional MPI calls.

With that in mind, does requiring WIN_SYNC for immediate synchronization
of the two windows + a statement that there might be
implementation-specific ways (e.g., memory barriers) to do the same
sound reasonable from an OpenSHMEM point-of-view?

  -- Pavan

--
Pavan Balaji
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~balaji