[Mpi3-rma] Urgent: Target displacement sign issue

Jim Dinan dinan at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 12 10:36:06 CDT 2012

Hi All,

We're down to the wire on this change.  As specified, dynamic windows
will /not/ work reliably in MPI 3.0.  We currently see "negative"
displacements for dynamic windows in MPICH on 32-bit platforms.
Earlier, I suggested a change stating that the implementation will
ignore the sign for dynamic windows.  Here's a revised proposal.

In the paragraph on page 425, line 1, add the bracketed sentence:

In the case of a window created with MPI_WIN_CREATE_DYNAMIC, the
target_disp for all RMA functions is the address at the target; i.e.,
the effective window_base is MPI_BOTTOM and the disp_unit is one. [Thus,
for dynamic windows, the target_disp argument to RMA communication
operations is not restricted to non-negative values.] Users should use
MPI_GET_ADDRESS at the target process to determine the address of a
target memory location and communicate this address to the origin process.

  ~Jim.