[Mpi3-rma] [EXTERNAL] Re: Disp_unit in allocate_shared should be returned by win_shared_query?

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Sun Jul 22 12:28:51 CDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 08:11:23PM +0000, Barrett, Brian W wrote:
> I'm concerned with the change (and don't think it should happen
> at this point, as I want to be able to tell other people their
> changes are too big).  It's probably not another O(p) structure,
> since a process will have to know the other rank's disp_unit to
> do the memcpy during the communication operations, so we crossed
> the O(p) bridge when we added disp_unit to allocate_shared.

I would recommend to add two advices:

  Advice to users. For scalability reasons it is recommended
  that all processes provide the same disp_unit argument
  on all processes. End of advice to users.

  Advice to implementors. If the user provides the same
  disp_unit argument on all processes of the communicator,
  or a compressible list of values, it is necessary for
  scalability reasons to store this data as compact as possible.
  End of advice to users.

Of course for all thre MPI_WIN_CREATE, MPI_WIN_AALOCATE, and
MPI_WIN_ALLOCATE_SHARED.

Is this a good idea?
If yes, can someone find a better wording for this proposal?

Best regards
Rolf