[Mpi3-rma] Alternative Proposal for Shared Memory Support

Torsten Hoefler htor at illinois.edu
Wed Mar 16 08:51:56 CDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 08:44:14AM -0500, Rajeev Thakur wrote:
> You could, but it starts looking more and more like RMA. The purpose
> of SHM_allocate was to provide an easy way to allocate shared memory
> and access it directly with memory references, instead of the user
> having to do that himself using POSIX or System V shared memory
> allocation functions. Now if he has to read the whole RMA chapter for
> that... :-)
I thought the motivation was to have a portable interface? The old
functionality could be emulated by a library that calls allocate and
starts a lock-all epoch. Not sure how this is conceptually more complex.

But we shall wait until we get to the consistency and ordering details
;-).

Torsten

--
Torsten Hoefler         | Performance Modeling and Simulation Lead