[Mpi3-rma] Next RMA Telecon

Torsten Hoefler htor at illinois.edu
Mon Dec 26 23:15:00 CST 2011

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 10:49:55PM -0600, Pavan Balaji wrote:

> On 12/26/2011 10:45 PM, Torsten Hoefler wrote:
>> No, the MPI library does not have to deal with silly use programs. If a
>> user decides to write a non-scalable program, then the MPI library
>> cannot do much.
>
> My question is about correctness, not performance scalability.  It can
> be slow, but it has to work.  Also, if the number of processes is small,
> it's not really a scalability issue either.
I see, I saw only the scalability issue. Yes, it is a correct program.

> My point is that, the user can still do this, so the MPI implementation
> has to deal with it.  So not providing Win_lock_all(EXCLUSIVE) is not
> really reducing the implementation complexity.  The lock_all call does
> give the opportunity to make the implementation more scalable (and
> possibly more complex), but that's a quality of implementation issue.
>
> So, what am I missing here?
Right, Brian had some arguments why/how this would be either a
non-scalable implementation (in memory and time) or a burden on the
implementer. So we didn't want to enforce to have a good implementation
of this (since our only use-case was solved otherwise).

Thanks & Best,
  Torsten

--
Torsten Hoefler         | Performance Modeling and Simulation Lead