[Mpi3-rma] Next RMA Telecon

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 26 22:49:55 CST 2011

On 12/26/2011 10:45 PM, Torsten Hoefler wrote:
> No, the MPI library does not have to deal with silly use programs. If a
> user decides to write a non-scalable program, then the MPI library
> cannot do much.

My question is about correctness, not performance scalability.  It can
be slow, but it has to work.  Also, if the number of processes is small,
it's not really a scalability issue either.

My point is that, the user can still do this, so the MPI implementation
has to deal with it.  So not providing Win_lock_all(EXCLUSIVE) is not
really reducing the implementation complexity.  The lock_all call does
give the opportunity to make the implementation more scalable (and
possibly more complex), but that's a quality of implementation issue.

So, what am I missing here?

  -- Pavan

--
Pavan Balaji