[Mpi3-rma] Updated MPI-3 RMA proposal 1

Torsten Hoefler htor at illinois.edu
Sat Jun 19 19:37:05 CDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 05:52:22PM -0500, Pavan Balaji wrote:

> On 06/17/2010 01:14 PM, Torsten Hoefler wrote:
>> Brian has a good point. Proposal 1 was supposed to be the uncontentious
>> one. We have made the decision to include it in absence of the two main
>> opponents. Pushing this forward feels incorrect, thus, I removed it for
>> now from the proposal.
>
> This was exactly what I was arguing against -- the break up of the
> proposals is increasingly becoming as contentious vs. uncontentious. It
> should be "related items" based instead. And, no, "these are the minimum
> set of things I need" is not a good definition of related items, as
> that's a very subjective definition.
I am pretty sure that the original definition of Proposal 1 was along
the lines of "uncontentious things that we need for sure". They were
somewhat unrelated from the beginning (e.g., CAS, Get_accumulate, and
changing erroneous to undefined don't seem related to me).

I am in favor of allflushall, however, I find the split into contentious
and non-contentious reasonable as long as semantics are not split
between two proposals. In this particular case, proposal 1 would be
useful without allflushall.

> Why are we so afraid of adding items that we feel the Forum will not
> like? It's easy enough to get a straw vote and drop something before the
> final vote.
Well, if we stick to the original definition of proposal 1, then there
should be no straw votes about the content whatsoever. Are you
advocating to change this definition? I'm fine with a change as long as
there is some reasonable definition.

> Second call to Bill/Rajeev -- we need some changes here.
A policy would really help. But I am not sure what to advocate.

All the Best,
  Torsten

--
Torsten Hoefler         | Modeling and Simulation Lead