[Mpiwg-large-counts] Large Count - the principles for counts, sizes, and byte and nonbyte displacements

Jim Dinan james.dinan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 10:48:57 CDT 2019

Apologies, it's been a while since I looked at the I/O interfaces.  If I/O
only needs relative displacements that have normal integer semantics, then
I don't see why MPI_Count would not work for this purpose.  If you have an
MPI_Aint that contains a relative displacement, it also has normal integer
semantics and can be converted to an MPI_Count.  The only case we really
need to look out for is when an integer type contains an absolute address.
In those cases, the quantity in the variable cannot be treated as a normal
integer and we need special routines to work with it.  If MPI never treats
an MPI_Count quantity as an absolute address then MPI_Count should always
have normal integer semantics via the MPI interfaces and doesn't need
special treatment.  Unless, of course, we want to enable MPI_Count that is
large enough to need special support for basic operations, but that's a
different can of worms.

 ~Jim.