[Mpiwg-large-counts] Large Count - the principles for counts, sizes, and byte and nonbyte displacements

Jim Dinan james.dinan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 11:07:37 CDT 2019

Still not sure I see the issue.  MPI's memory-related integers should map
to types that serve the same function in C.  If the base language is broken
for segmented addressing, we won't be able to fix it in a library.  Looking
at the mapping below, I don't see where we would have broken it:

intptr_t => MPI_Aint
uintptr_t => ??? (Anyone remember the MPI_Auint "golden Aint" proposal?)
ptrdiff_t => MPI_Aint
size_t (sizeof) => MPI_Count, int
size_t (offsetof) => MPI_Aint, int
ssize_t => Mostly for error handling.  Out of scope for MPI?

It sounds like there are some places where we used MPI_Aint in place of
size_t for sizes.  Not great, but MPI_Aint already needs to be at least as
large as size_t, so this seems benign.

 ~Jim.