[Mpiwg-large-counts] Large Count - the principles for counts, sizes, and byte and nonbyte displacements

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Thu Oct 24 10:15:27 CDT 2019

I was reading web pages about segmented address space.
And they show two possibilities (which may go only into the past):

- flattened address space
- segmented with some high order bits refering to the Segment
  and low order bits to address within the segment.

If I understood correctly, then the major problem behind MPI_Aint_diff
and MPI_Aint_add was the following:

(my example is with 8 bit MPI_Aint)

  addr1 01111111 = 127 (signed int) = 127 (unsigned int)
  addr2 10000001 = -127  (signed int) = 129 (unsigned int)

Internally the addreses are viewed by the hardware and OS as unsigned.
MPI_Aint is interpreting the same bits as signed int.

addr2-addr1 = 129 -127 = 2 (as unsigned int)
but in a real application code with "-" operator:
            = -127 -127 = -254
  --> signed int Overflow because 8 bit can express only -128 .. +127
  --> detected or automatically corrected with +256 --> -254+256 = 2

The segmented problem was solved very early through the wording
on "sequential storage" (unchanged since MPI-1.1 !!! :-)
in the section "Correct use of addresses".

What I see, that before changing anything, the mpiwg-large-counts WG
should really understand MPI-3.1.

For me, it looked like that there was some misunderstanding
of the concept that absolute and relative addresses
and number of bytes that can be stored in MPI_Aint.

Best regards
Rolf