[MPI3-IO] [EXTERNAL] New MPI-IO routines

Rob Ross rross at mcs.anl.gov
Thu May 24 17:20:33 CDT 2012

Hey,

I'm a big fan of not adding things to the standard that may be done reasonably easily above the MPI API.

In this case, there is a strong argument for doing it above MPI-IO, and that argument is that the higher-level library almost certainly can more efficiently determine if operations would conflict or not. MPI-IO library is going to have to compare extent lists or have some (currently nonexistent) method of comparing datatypes and knowing if they overlap or not without unrolling them.

Rob