[MPI3-IO] [EXTERNAL] New MPI-IO routines

Mohamad Chaarawi chaarawi at hdfgroup.org
Thu May 24 15:46:11 CDT 2012

Hi Jay,

On 5/24/2012 3:08 PM, Lofstead, Gerald F II wrote:
> I can see the usefulness of this beyond the SWMR case (essentially queue a
> bunch of IO ops in the background and come back when they are all done)

yes that is definitely useful in many cases, especially if the file
manipulation routines are nonblocking too..

> and wonder is there a broader agenda that should be looked at for this?
> For example, is the non-blocking, but ordered idea something useful for
> messaging as well? Personally, I think so. Given that, is it worth
> exploring this in a broader context to add the non-blocking, ordered style
> to MPI as a whole?

I am not aware of anyone exploring this beyond I/O. I can't answer the
question if it's worthwhile to do this for ALL MPI, but I don't see why
it would not be possible.. Datatype creation is something that I could
think of, which would benefit well from this and would go nice with the
I/O version of such routines.

> Other than an explicit queue mechanism to execute these in series, what
> are the complexity problems you envision? It seems really straightforward.

There's that, and there is the consistency semantics issue, where the
library needs to make sure that the operations are atomic.

Thanks,
Mohamad