[MPI3-IO] Nonblocking Collective I/O Implementation for ticket #273

Dries Kimpe dkimpe at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 31 16:47:49 CST 2012

* Mohamad Chaarawi <chaarawi at hdfgroup.org> [2012-01-27 15:04:41]:

[...]

> The reason is that the entire shared file pointer operations are not
> implemented within the MPI-I/O framework used. That being said, we can

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by the sentence above.

> provide the pseudo code for the operations, since in reality there is
> nothing fundamentally difficult if we have a shared file pointer and the
> other nonblocking routines available.

> Would anyone on this list object to the idea of just providing the
> pseudo code implementation for the shared file pointer routines (i.e.
> postpone voting on the ticket till we have a prototype implementation
> which would likely not be in the MPI-3.0 time frame anymore)?

Given the discussion about the non-blocking shared file pointer routines,
it is probably best to put the pseudocode to allow for discussion and make
sure we fully understand the consequences before getting a vote on the
ticket.

While I agree that it would be possible for a user to implement collective
non-blocking shared file pointer routines, the same could be said for the
other I/O collectives, so in this case I'd prefer to provide those
routines.

  Dries