[MPI3-IO] Nonblocking Collective I/O Implementation for ticket #273

Mohamad Chaarawi chaarawi at hdfgroup.org
Fri Jan 27 15:04:41 CST 2012

Hi All,

We have the prototype implementation for the nonblocking collective I/O
routines provided by Dr. Edgar Gabriel and his student (Vishwanath
Venkatesan). The implementation provides a prototype for implementing
the following routines:

  * MPI_File_iread_all
  * MPI_File_iwrite_all
  * MPI_File_iread_at_all
  * MPI_File_iwrite_at_all

We did not implement, however the nonblocking counterpart for shared
file pointer collective operations:

  * MPI_File_iread_ordered
  * MPI_File_iwrite_ordered

The reason is that the entire shared file pointer operations are not
implemented within the MPI-I/O framework used. That being said, we can
provide the pseudo code for the operations, since in reality there is
nothing fundamentally difficult if we have a shared file pointer and the
other nonblocking routines available.

Would anyone on this list object to the idea of just providing the
pseudo code implementation for the shared file pointer routines (i.e.
postpone voting on the ticket till we have a prototype implementation
which would likely not be in the MPI-3.0 time frame anymore)?

Thanks,
Mohamad