[MPI3-IO] Updated draft for ticket 273

Mohamad Chaarawi chaarawi at hdfgroup.org
Fri Feb 24 10:39:09 CST 2012

Hi All,

After the comments on and off list about the shared file pointer
operations, and specifically about when the shared file pointer will be
updated, I'm finding it more compelling now to actually maintain the
order in which the shared file pointer is updated. This will make the
nonblocking collective and independent shared file pointer operations
non local, but in theory, as Edgar pointed out to me, all shared file
pointer operations can be non local anyhow.

So I took out the Advice to Users that mentions that mixing collective
and independent operations is undefined, and added this to the
consistency semantics section for nonblocking collective I/O operations:

All nonblocking collective I/O calls are local and return immediately,
irrespective of the status of other
processes. The shared file pointer operations are an exception, because
updating the shared file pointer might be a non local operation.

I guess this would be the "right" thing to do, and the original intent
for the split collective routines as Adam pointed out, despite the
contradiction in the standard.

The updated draft is attached to the ticket url
https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/ticket/273

Thanks,
Mohamad