[Mpi3-hybridpm] First cut at slides

Jeff Hammond jhammond at alcf.anl.gov
Tue Jun 18 08:54:18 CDT 2013

I don't see the issue with connected dynamic processes and finalize.
 Doesn't each process just wait until count=0 to actually finalize?  In
this case, is it not sufficient for each process to use its local ref
count?  Your slide looks fine to me.  What's the example where
borkification happens?

Jeff

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 7:47 AM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) <jsquyres at cisco.com
> wrote:

> For comment...
>
> Here's a first cut at slides that we discussed yesterday.  It's meant to
> be a rollup of all the issues surrounding:
>
> - thread safe INIT / FINALIZE
> - reference-counting INIT / FINALIZE
> - nesting of INIT / FINALIZE
>
> I discovered a new issue when making up these slides: with ref-counting
> INIT/FINALIZE, since INIT/FINALIZE are collective, we have the same ref
> counts in all procs in MPI_COMM_WORLD.  But the ref counts may be different
> in non-COMM_WORLD connected processes.  What happens when they try to
> finalize over all connected processes?  See slide 12 for an example.  I'm
> not sure what the right answer is yet.
>
> --
> Jeff Squyres
> jsquyres at cisco.com