[Mpi3-hybridpm] First cut at slides

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Tue Jun 18 07:47:04 CDT 2013

For comment...

Here's a first cut at slides that we discussed yesterday.  It's meant to be a rollup of all the issues surrounding:

- thread safe INIT / FINALIZE
- reference-counting INIT / FINALIZE
- nesting of INIT / FINALIZE

I discovered a new issue when making up these slides: with ref-counting INIT/FINALIZE, since INIT/FINALIZE are collective, we have the same ref counts in all procs in MPI_COMM_WORLD.  But the ref counts may be different in non-COMM_WORLD connected processes.  What happens when they try to finalize over all connected processes?  See slide 12 for an example.  I'm not sure what the right answer is yet.

jsquyres at cisco.com