[Mpi3-hybridpm] new text for MPI_INIT/MPI_FINALIZE

Douglas Miller dougmill at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 2 09:57:34 CST 2012

I still disagree with the idea that MPI_INIT/FINALIZE is called
per-MPI-Process. I know that this ticket does not deal with multiple MPI
processes, but unless this sort of wording is stated correctly, ticket #310
won't work.

I also see confusing phraseology that implies that MPI-processes do things
like "exit" and "make calls". I think it is going to be critical going
forward (for ticket #310) that this sort of confusion is cleared up, not
made worse. MPI Processes do not "exit" or "make calls".  Only OS Processes
(threads within, actually) execute code and do things like "exit" and "make
calls". The MPI processes are the TARGETS of code executed by the OS
Process.

The big brick wall that ticket #310 will run into if we promote the idea
that "every MPI process has its own MPI_INIT/FINALIZE" is that if there are
multiple MPI processes then there is no clear way to initialize them since
there is no argument to MPI_INIT/FINALIZE that specifies the MPI Process
and there is no way to know what MPI process a thread might represent.

Douglas Miller                  BlueGene Messaging Development
IBM Corp., Rochester, MN USA                     Bldg 030-2 A401
dougmill at us.ibm.com               Douglas Miller/Rochester/IBM

             Marc Snir
             <snir at mcs.anl.gov
             Sent by:                  mpi3-hybridpm at lists.mpi-forum.org,
             mpi3-hybridpm-bou                                          cc
             nces at lists.mpi-fo
             rum.org                                               Subject
                                       [Mpi3-hybridpm] new text for
                                       MPI_INIT/MPI_FINALIZE
             02/01/2012 08:33
             PM