[Mpi3-hybridpm] SHMEM Interface in Draft External Interfaces

Hubert Ritzdorf hritzdorf at hpce.nec.com
Thu Feb 17 03:58:47 CST 2011

Yes, this is the problem.
I'm working also in a European project for Climate modeling which use coupled applications/models for simulation.
They may start with a single process, which dynamically spawns new parallel applications/models depending on the simulation. Coupled application exchange 3d volume data and could put common chemistry data into shared memory. Thus, it makes sense to place processes of different applications/models on the same node (or on another node on systems which provide shared memory over several nodes).
In order to create the proposed MPI_COMM_SHM for MPI_COMM_WORLD in MPI_Init(), the mpi implementer would probably use also MPI_Comm_split() with an appropriate color. Thus, we should provide the corresponding functionality to the user and he/she can create the communicator.

For dynamic applications, an additional MPI_Comm_shm_attach () function would be useful in order to attach to already existing shared memory regions.

Hubert