[Mpi3-hybridpm] MPI_HELPER_TEAM_CREATE description of INFO

Douglas Miller dougmill at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 17 06:25:47 CST 2011

Hi Pavan,

I'm still looking for a description of the INFO keys "balanced" and
"singular" that I like. I guess what seems odd to me about the description
in v1.0 is that "balanced" is described in terms of what the implementation
does, while "singular" is in terms of what the application does. Wouldn't
it be less confusing if both spoke to how the application writer can
determine if their code fits a particular model? The way I imagine it, the
application writer will have a block of code (in mind or in source files)
that does MPI calls and they think it is a candidate for parallelism using
a helper team. They would then compare their code to the requirements for
"balanced" and "singular" and set them as appropriate.

I guess we would then have "advice to implementers" that helps guide the
implementer on how they should handle the INFO.

would you agree? I can make an attempt to come up with some text for
"balanced" from the application developer's point of view.

thanks,
Douglas Miller                  BlueGene Messaging Development
IBM Corp., Rochester, MN USA                     Bldg 030-2 A410
dougmill at us.ibm.com               Douglas Miller/Rochester/IBM