[Mpi3-hybridpm] slightly improved document is posted

Snir, Marc snir at illinois.edu
Tue Jan 19 10:14:55 CST 2010

On Jan 18, 2010, at 5:41 PM, Rajeev Thakur wrote:

> I think some text is needed to specify what MPI_Comm_rank returns.
> Suppose a thread calls MPI_Comm_rank on MPI_COMM_WORLD, does it return
> the rank of the endpoint the thread is currently attached to? What is
> returned if the thread is not attached to an endpoint?

MPI calls by a thread not attached to an endpoint are erroneous. If a thread is attached it will return the rank of the enpoint it is attached to.

> The function MPI_Comm_endpoint is defined as "retrieves the endpoint
> associated with a communicator". But a communicator can have multiple
> endpoints. Should it be rephrased to say "the endpoint that the calling
> thread is currently attached to"? What is returned if the thread is not
> attached to an endpoint in that communicator?

Correct "the endpoint that the calling thread is attached to". Again, a comm object is thread local and should not be passed across threads -- the results are undefined if it is passed.