[Mpi3-hybridpm] Reminder for telecon tomorrow

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 17 10:21:34 CST 2010

Joe,

On 02/17/2010 08:38 AM, Joe Ratterman wrote:
> Let's assume that there are 32 FIFOs per node, and that using 6 per
> process or endpoint is considered optimal (both are actually higher
> in actuality, but it isn't too important).  If we were to allow users to
> create up to 8 endpoints per node, it would only be possible to allocate
> 4 FIFOs for each endpoint.  Doing this in all cases would slow the
> single-threaded case, which will probably be more common for quite some
> time.

Thanks. I'm missing some math here. I'd assume that you'd still keep 6
FIFOs per endpoint, so each endpoint can fully saturate all the network
links. So, you'd have a maximum of 5 endpoints. Is this correct?

Suppose you always initialize the network with 5 endpoints, but in the
single threaded case just use 1 endpoint, and in the multi-threaded (or
more specifically multi-threaded/multi-endpoint) case use as many, but
up to 5, endpoints as specified by the user. Does this cause a
performance problem? Or a resource usage problem?

 -- Pavan

--
Pavan Balaji
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~balaji