[Mpi3-hybridpm] Reminder for telecon tomorrow

Joe Ratterman jratt0 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 08:38:01 CST 2010

I was also talking about this.

BGP has a DMA-driven 3D torus network.  The DMA operates by inserting
message descriptors into injection FIFOs, of which there are a finite number
built into the HW.  The DMA will process the head (and only the head)
element in each FIFO all together.  Because large messages will block
subsequent ones, you must use at least 6 FIFOs to achieve the maximum
bandwidth on the 6 outbound links.  There can also be small message latency
problem if a large message is blocking small messages to other nodes.  The
point is, using more FIFOs is generally better.

Let's assume that there are 32 FIFOs per node, and that using 6 per process
or endpoint is considered optimal (both are actually higher in actuality,
but it isn't too important).  If we were to allow users to create up to 8
endpoints per node, it would only be possible to allocate 4 FIFOs for each
endpoint.  Doing this in all cases would slow the single-threaded case,
which will probably be more common for quite some time.

Thanks,
Joe Ratterman
jratt at us.ibm.com