[Mpi3-hybridpm] Hybrid WG meeting at the Forum

Douglas Miller dougmill at us.ibm.com
Tue Dec 7 09:47:52 CST 2010

While the implementation I'd be making would probably not distinguish
between MULTIPLE,  SERIAL, and FUNNEL, I still believe that there are
implementations that do benefit from using a lesser threading model and
would still be able to use helper threads. I think it is short-sighted to
rule out those modes for helper threads.

Douglas Miller                  BlueGene Messaging Development
IBM Corp., Rochester, MN USA                     Bldg 030-2 A410
dougmill at us.ibm.com               Douglas Miller/Rochester/IBM

             Pavan Balaji
             <balaji at mcs.anl.g
             ov>                                                        To
                                       Douglas Miller/Rochester/IBM at IBMUS
             12/07/2010 08:08                                           cc
             AM                        mpi3-hybridpm at lists.mpi-forum.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Mpi3-hybridpm] Hybrid WG
                                       meeting at the Forum

On 12/07/2010 08:03 AM, Douglas Miller wrote:
> Well, I was thinking we did not need to restrict MPI_HELPER_* to only
> MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE, as I think these routines are easily made thread
> safe independently of the rest of MPI. I would like to see these be
> more-widely usable.

Convincing the Forum about that is an uphill battle, AFAICT (not sure
which way I'll vote on that, either). I'd like to not add that in the
initial proposal. If you like, we can create a second proposal chapter
(like what we are doing in the RMA WG) with these "additional changes"
which will be good to have, but not critical.

  -- Pavan

--
Pavan Balaji
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~balaji