[mpiwg-ft] [EXTERNAL] Re: FTWG Con Call Today

Teranishi, Keita knteran at sandia.gov
Wed Dec 21 01:27:19 CST 2016

Ignacio,

Yes, ReInit and Fenix-1.0 have the same recovery model. They use longjump
for global rollback and fix MPI communicator at the end of "Init² call.  I
am very happy to perform the feasibility studies of these three (plus one)
models.  I think that it will be great if we can explore the feasibility
through some empirical (prototyping) studies.

As for 4th (ReInit/Fenix-1.0) model, we should have clear definition MPI
communicator recovery including subcommunicators.  In order to utilize the
next generation checkpoint library (ECP¹s multi-level checkpointing
project) or accommodate application specific recovery schemes, MPI_Comm
should provide some information of its past (history failures or change in
the rank, comm_size, etc.) as well as its current state.  I am hoping that
our experience with Fenix will help to design a new spec.

Thanks,
Keita Teranishi
Principal Member of Technical Staff
Scalable Modeling and Analysis Systems