[mpiwg-ft] [EXTERNAL] Re: FTWG Con Call Today

Ignacio Laguna lagunaperalt1 at llnl.gov
Tue Dec 20 18:55:21 CST 2016

Hi Keita,

I think we all agree that there is no silver bullet solution for the FT
problem and that each recovery model (whether it's ULFM, Reinit, Fenix,
or ULFM+autorecovery) works for some codes but doesn't work for others,
and that one of the solutions to cover all applications is to allow
multiple recovery models.

In the last telecon we discussed two ways to do that: (a) all models are
compatible with each other; (b) they are not compatible, thus the
application has to select the model to be used (which implies libraries
used by the application have to support that model as well). The ideal
case is (a), but we are not sure if it's possible, thus we are going to
discuss each model in detail to explore that possibility. I believe case
(b) is always a possibility, in which case you can still run Fenix on
top of ULFM in that situation.

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, but Reinit and Fenix share (at a
high-level) the same idea of global backward recovery with longjumps to
reinject execution; thus we should call the 4rth option perhaps
Reinit/Fenix.

Ignacio