[Mpi3-ft] Clarification Ticket 323: MPI_ANY_SOURCE and MPI_Test(any)

George Bosilca bosilca at eecs.utk.edu
Fri Mar 16 15:55:56 CDT 2012

The expected behavior is straightforward:

- MPI_Test is a single completion function, it will therefore return MPI_ERR_PENDING, without setting flag to true or affecting the status.

- If MPI_Test is replaced by MPI_Testany, then the operation will return MPI_ERR_IN_STATUS, the index will be set, the flag will not be set, and the status will be updated. All multiple completion function will behave similarly (setting the status->error to MPI_ERR_PENDING) and returning MPI_ERR_IN_STATUS.

You are right, as no operation is completed, the flag will remain set to false. However, we are in the case where the MPI_Testany is returning an error, case that is not well defined in the current standard.

  george.