[Mpi3-ft] FT Working Group Teleconf (today)

Greg Bronevetsky bronevetsky1 at llnl.gov
Wed Mar 24 10:45:14 CDT 2010

At 07:13 AM 3/24/2010, Richard Treumann wrote:

>I just took a look at the piggy back proposal. I do not see a
>fundamental problem but there are a couple points worth a mention
>
>1) Mandating extra fields in a status object breaks binary
>compatibility. An MPI library that assume it is filling in new form
>status when the application was compiled with old form status will
>trash some other part of memory. When a status was determined to be
>a user allocated structure in MPI 1.0, the ability to change it was forfeited.
I don't believe that binary compatibility is a goal for MPI 3 and in
the survey users rated it quite low on their priority list.

>2) Expecting libmpi to recognize that the piggyback sent was bigger
>than the piggyback expected and truncate the piggyback while
>delivering an intact user message is not going to be practical. The
>MPI standard should treat this exactly the way it treats any
>send/recv in which type signatures do not match. I.E. if total bytes
>sent is <= total expected, the outcome is undefined and if total
>bytes sent is > total expected it is an error and the resulting
>buffer content is undefined. The standard only obliges libmpi to
>refrain from trashing memory outside the footprint of the typemap.
>
>IBM uses an approach that distributes inbound packets (which may
>arrive out of order) directly into the receive type map. If the
>bytes coming in > expected we discard all packets and if <=, we put
>the bytes wherever the recv side typemap says and have no way of
>knowing the send type signature and recv type signature are
>inconsistent. Adding metadata to validate send type signature
>against recv type signature would be too expensive

That's fair. We shouldn't make piggybacking semantics more stringent
than regular application data semantics.

Greg Bronevetsky
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
(925) 424-5756
bronevetsky at llnl.gov