[Mpi3-ft] system-level C/R requirements

Mike Heffner mike.heffner at librato.com
Fri Oct 24 16:24:58 CDT 2008

My original thoughts on this were to not put it at the
application-visible level of the MPI specification. There are going to
be several different approaches to checkpointing an MPI stack and I
don't think they can all be represented in a single flat API. There will
be solutions that sit at the application MPI level and do message
logging or provide the ability for application quiescence, there will be
solutions that can sit lower in the stack and not worry about
communicators, MPI msg types, etc. just the final send/recvs (e.g., the
MPID layer of mpich), and there will probably be solutions that are
provided as part of the interconnect implementations themselves (e.g.,
as part of libverbs for IB).

Therefore, it may be appropriate to discuss these solutions as tiered
approaches to C/R and not all as MPI-level API requirements. I do think
that this group should be influential in designing these requirements
though even if they don't exist at the application's MPI level.