[mpi3-ft] Picking up working group activities

Supalov, Alexander alexander.supalov at intel.com
Tue Jan 22 02:23:08 CST 2008

Hi,

11am EST Wednesday is OK with me.

I think of faults as asynchronous errors. They can be reported during
the next nearest MPI call or asynchronously. Like in the case of thread
support, the user should be able to select what way he wants his/her
fault notifications served. Likewise, the application should be able to
provide some maximum support level (say, MPI_FAULT_SYNCHRONOUS,
MPI_FAULT_ASYNCHRONOUS).

The handling of the faults should be analogous to the handling of the
usual MPI errors. The mechanism of error handlers seems adequate. We'd
probably have all faults fatal by default (MPI_FAULTS_ARE_FATAL). If the
user wants to do something more intelligent about them, another handler
should be defined and registered with the MPI. We may wish to provide
some predefined handlers, like MPI_FAULTS_ARE_IGNORED.

Finally, fault notifications sent to other processes. Again, there
should be several modes and both the user and the implementation should
be able to select what they want to use or can provide, respectively.
Notifications may go to all processes of the job, all processes in the
affected communicator, only the root of it, or no process but the
affected one.

Best regards.

Alexander

--