[MPIWG Fortran] "ELEMENTAL" keyword on mpi_f08 comparison operator functions

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Tue Mar 8 04:58:32 CST 2022

Hello Reinhold,

can you give as background information about this question on ELEMENTAL below.

Our MPI handles are defined according to MPi-4.0 page 18 as

   TYPE, BIND(C) :: MPI_Comm
     INTEGER :: MPI_VAL
   END TYPE MPI_Comm

and same for MPI_Group, ...

The MPI standard specifies for both the mpi and the mpi_f08 module:

mpi_f08 in MPI-4.0 Section 19.1.2 page 793 lines 23-24:
>    * Overload the operators .EQ. and .NE. to allow the comparison of these MPI
>    handles with .EQ. , .NE. , == and /= .

mpi module in MPI-4.0 Section 19.1.3 page 795 lines 35-37:
   * Define the derived type MPI_Status and all named handle types that are used in the
   mpi_f08 module. For these named handle types, overload the operators .EQ. and
   .NE. to allow handle comparison via the .EQ., .NE., == and /= operators.

Best regards
Rolf