[MPIWG Fortran] "ELEMENTAL" keyword on mpi_f08 comparison operator functions

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 04:01:13 CST 2022

It should be correct to add ELEMENTAL here and we should encourage that.

I would argue that we should require ELEMENTAL in the place where it says:

   - Overload the operators .EQ. and .NE. to allow the comparison of these
   MPI handles with .EQ., .NE., == and /=.

https://www.mpi-forum.org/docs/mpi-3.1/mpi31-report/node409.htm (I assume
the text is unchanged in MPI-4)

Jeff

On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 1:19 AM Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) via mpiwg-fortran <
mpiwg-fortran at lists.mpi-forum.org> wrote:

> Forum Fortran WG --
>
> Any comments?
>
> I got one off-list reply explaining the use of ELEMENTAL, but I'm curious
> as to what the Forum's response should be.
>
> I ask because the use of ELEMENTAL has an impact on MPI application
> portability.  E.g., if the Open MPI family of implementations use ELEMENTAL
> but the MPICH family of implementations do not, that could be confusing for
> users.
>
> --
> Jeff Squyres
> jsquyres at cisco.com