[MPIWG Fortran] Provide Fortran datatypes if Fortran bindings not provided?

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 13:19:24 CST 2016

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Bill Long <longb at cray.com> wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2016, at 11:55 AM, Jeff Hammond <jeff.science at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > From MPI 3.1, page 674:
> >
> > "If an accompanying C++ compiler is missing, then the MPI datatypes in
> this table are not defined."
> >
> > Please tell me why we want to do something different for Fortran.
>
> I agree that this is a good point.   Although an increasingly strange one
> in the C++ case since the C and C++ compilers are often the identical same
> compiler these days.  The choice of cc or CC just sets a different mode
> internally.

<tangent>

We still need to be careful, because C99 and C11 are not strict subsets of
any ISO C++.  And at least one MPI Forum member (Microsoft) has the
audacity to not support ISO C at all, except insofar as it is a subset of
C++, which is why lots of folks (e.g. MPICH) are limited to C89, which is -
as far as I know - a proper subset of C++.

While we do not have C++ bindings and our C bindings are compliant with
C89, there is some potential for this to change in the future, particularly
if Squyres and Hammond follow-through on their intent to solve the
large-count problem with C11/C++98 polymorphism.

</tangent>

> Cheers,
> Bill
>

> Bill Long
>      longb at cray.com
> Fortran Technical Support  &                                  voice:
> 651-605-9024
> Bioinformatics Software Development                     fax:  651-605-9142
> Cray Inc./ Cray Plaza, Suite 210/ 380 Jackson St./ St. Paul, MN 55101

Jeff Hammond
jeff.science at gmail.com
http://jeffhammond.github.io/