[MPIWG Fortran] MPI_SIZEOF: redux

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Fri Jun 6 07:15:55 CDT 2014

On Jun 6, 2014, at 6:31 AM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) <jsquyres at cisco.com> wrote:

> Would it still be ok to deprecate MPI_SIZEOF in MPI-4 (which is at least ~2 years away)?  We don't have to have any plan for removing it.

I think that would be reasonable.  In two years time more vendors will have implemented storage_size.  And if it were well known that MPI wants people to migrate to this function, vendors would be motivated to add support sooner.  The function itself is pretty trivial to implement as inline code by the compiler.  It’s just a matter of vendor priorities.

Bill Long                                                                       longb at cray.com
Fortran Technical Suport  &                                  voice:  651-605-9024
Bioinformatics Software Development                     fax:  651-605-9142
Cray Inc./ Cray Plaza, Suite 210/ 380 Jackson St./ St. Paul, MN 55101