[MPIWG Fortran] MPI_SIZEOF: redux

Malcolm Cohen malcolm at nag-j.co.jp
Thu Jun 5 22:54:33 CDT 2014

>Is this intrinsic in F90? Are we deprecating F77 and F90 bindings? Else we need
>this.

(a) Fortran 77 was superceded as a standard 25 years ago.  Do you have bindings
to K&R (pre-ANSI) C?

(b) The MPI bindings do not even come close to adhering to the Fortran 77
standard.

(c) No, this intrinsic was new in Fortran 2008.  OTOH, it is possible to
calculate "sizeof" in Fortran 90 without much effort (STORAGE_SIZE is merely a
convenience function).

But I agree it is rather early to be deprecating MPI_SIZEOF just because of
STORAGE_SIZE, since quite a few compilers don't have it yet.

................................Malcolm Cohen, Nihon NAG, Tokyo.