[MPIWG Fortran] Question on Fortran binding errata

Craig Rasmussen rasmus at cas.uoregon.edu
Wed Feb 12 16:02:05 CST 2014

We realized after working on MPI-3 for awhile that we would need Fortran wrappers and couldn't really call C routines directly.  One of the reasons is that the MPI C routines return a function value and most of the Fortran bindings are subroutines without a return value.  The language you refer to is a requirement on the implementer as to what the name of the wrapper routine is.

For example, if the user calls MPI_Isend and uses the MPI_F08 module, then the wrapper routine shall (must) be called MPI_Isend_f08.  Another requirement we have placed on implementors is that the wrapper name can't be hidden within a module so that Fortran module name mangling won't be done for the MPI_Isend_f08 routine.

Craig Rasmussen
CAS Scientific Programmer
rasmus at cas.uoregon.edu