[MPI3 Fortran] [Mpi-comments] MPI 3.0: Fortran 2008 interface - issue with the LOGICAL kind

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Thu Mar 28 14:11:01 CDT 2013

https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/ticket/364#comment:7
shows all 32 routines with CHARACTER arguments.

Can I summarize your analysis to:

- 21 routines CHARACTER(LEN=*),INTENT(IN) arguments

  All these routines need the length information at the callee.
  The non-BIND(C) interface works fine (as in mpif.h and the mpi module)
  A BIND(C) interface would need to be changed, because the length
  information must be passed in an additional argument
  (or as in C by a special terminator character).

- 2 routines with CHARACTER(LEN=*),INTENT(OUT) arguments

  These routines works with non-BIND(C) and BIND(C),
  because the application must provide a string-buffer
  that is large enough.

- 0 routines with CHARACTER(LEN=SOME_CONST),INTENT(IN)
- 7 routines with (only) CHARACTER(LEN=SOME_CONST),INTENT(OUT)

  These routines work with non-BIND(C).
  For BIND(C), we need to change the declaration into
  CHARACTER(LEN=1),DIMENSION(xxx)
  With non-BIND(C), this alternative declaration would
  also work correctly with any arguments passed
  in the same way as to CHARACTER(LEN=xxx).

  This interface change requires Fortran 2003 compilers.

- and following special cases:
   MPI_Lookup_name
   MPI_Info_get
   MPI_Comm_spawn
   MPI_Comm_spawn_multiple

A shortcut of this summary:

Due to the 22 routines with LEN=*,
BIND(C) on the MPI API level should be fully removed.
BIND(C) makes sense only on this internal interface,
which should be optional.

Based on this, the possible options dramatically shrink.

Best regards
Rolf