[MPI3 Fortran] [Mpi-comments] MPI 3.0: Fortran 2008 interface - issue with the LOGICAL kind

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Wed Mar 27 18:25:45 CDT 2013

On 3/27/13 5:55 PM, Craig Rasmussen wrote:
> Tobias made a nice summary of character issue.  In particular, I'm of

I agree.

The example of the argv argument to MPI_COMM_SPAWN is certainly broken.
  The C version is an array of pointers to character strings.  Each of
the strings could be different length.  Without BIND(C), the Fortran
version [character(*) argv(*)] is very different.  In that case, every
element of the argv array has the same length.  Clearly this is not
"interoperable" in any normal sense.

With BIND(C), the argument becomes a pointer to a descriptor that
contains the length element of argv(*) [still all elements have the same
length], which is still not the same as *argv[], but an even bigger
disruption that before.  The corresponding C function needs to have the
argument specified as a pointer to a descriptor, and not *argv[], for
this to be interoperable.

In practice, you can write the Fortran wrapper (without BIND(C)) that
internally constructs an array of C pointers and rigs up the right
values to be passed to C.  BIND(C) definitely needs to be dropped for
the Fortran version.

> the opinion that the Fortran standards body does not think there is a
> bug in character string interoperability.  That was fixed in TS29113 by
> allowing character strings to be passed by descriptor, depending on the
> interface description.
>
> However, the whole issue become moot if we drop the BIND(C) names from
> the MPI namespace.

Right.

Bill Long                                           longb at cray.com