[MPI3 Fortran] [Mpi-comments] MPI 3.0: Fortran 2008 interface - issue with the LOGICAL kind

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Fri Mar 22 13:56:32 CDT 2013

See below.

Sent from my phone. No type good.

On Mar 22, 2013, at 11:08 AM, "Hubert Ritzdorf" <Hubert.Ritzdorf at emea.nec.com<mailto:Hubert.Ritzdorf at emea.nec.com>> wrote:

Hi,

MPI 3.0 Page 555, Lines 28-40 clearly requests a Fortran PMPI interface.

"This requires, in C and Fortran, an alternate entry point name, with the prefi?x PMPI_ for
each MPI function in each provided language binding and language support method."

Thus goal 1 and 4 is violated.

We did something illegal in MPI 3, so the bw Compat requirements with interfaces containing logical params are greatly weakened.

How is goal 4 violated?

Items 2 and 3 of the strawman proposal define implementation details.
The MPI standard doesn't define implementation details.
For example, NEC MPI is never calling the C MPI_Test function in the Fortran MPI_Test function
(which is implemented in C). Both items would hurt goal 2 for me.

I think Craig was spelling out the intent, not what we'll actually say on the text.

I.E., implementations like yours and mine will just provide a separate PMPI interface for mpi_f08 and then not be bound by the "must call the c symbol" restriction. The "must call c symbol" restriction is only for implementations like bills that will have fortran only wrappers that call c (e.g., and may be inlined and therefore not interceptable).

Hubert